, Hyderabad campus
Ph.D. in Economics
Dr. Poulomi Bhattacharya has done her PhD in Economics from Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore. Her research interest encompasses agricultural economics, environmental economics and industrial economics. She has worked on the linkage between aquaculture and environment and has won two international prizes for that. She was a part of projects related to food security and public distribution system sponsored by Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Government of India. Apart from research, she also has the experience of teaching Managerial Economics and Macro Economics and Business Environment courses at post graduate level. She has previously worked in Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA), National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) and IBS Hyderabad. She has published in national and international journals of repute such as Indian Economic Journal, Natural Resources Forum: A United Nations Sustainable Development Journal and World Development. She is also the Faculty Coordinator of MA in Development Studies Programme.
Agricltural Economics, Trade and Agriculture,Development Economics, Food Security
Bhattacharya, Poulomi, and Aruna Kumar Dash. "Drivers of Blue Economy in Asia and Pacific Island Countries: An Empirical Investigation of Tourism and Fisheries Sectors.", Asian Development Bank Institute , Working Paper series, No. 1161, available at: https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/publication/623236/adbi-wp1161.pdf, July ,2020
In peer reviewed journals
1. Bhattacharya, P., & Rath, B. N. (2020). Innovation and Firm-level Labour Productivity: A Comparison of Chinese and Indian Manufacturing Based on Enterprise Surveys. Science, Technology and Society(published online on 20thMay, 2020), https://doi.org/10.1177/0971721820912902 2. Narayan, S., & Bhattacharya, P. (2019). Relative export competitiveness of agricultural commodities and its determinants: Some evidence from India. World Development, 117, 29-47, Elsevier. 3. Bhattacharya, P. (2019). Determinants of export competitiveness of fresh fruits in India. International Journal of Sustainable Economy, 11(1), 61-80. 4. Bhattacharya, P.(2018). Productivity growth and technical efficiency change of Indian food and agro-based firms during post-global financial crisis, The Empirical Economic Letters, 17 (8), 1007-1015 5. Bhattacharya, P., Rath, B. N., & Dash, A. K. (2016). Supply response of milk production: analysis and implications for BRIC Countries. Applied Econometrics and International Development, 16(1), 179-192.
6. Bhattacharya, P. (2012). Determinants of Land Leasing Decisions in Shrimp Farming in West Bengal, India: Implications for Government Policy. Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, 10(1362-2016-107644), 79-90.
7. Rath, B. N., & Bhattacharya, P. (2011). Productivity Growth, Efficiency Change and Technical Progress: A Study of Registered Manufacturing Sector in Odisha. The Indian Economic Journal, 59(3), 18-37.
8. Bhattacharya, P., & Ninan, K. N. (2011). Social cost‐benefit analysis of intensive versus traditional shrimp farming: A case study from India. In Natural Resources Forum, 58 (4),321-333. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
9. Bhattacharya, P. (2010). A Comparative Study of Traditional and Scientific Shrimp Farming in West Bengal: A Technical Efficiency Analysis. The Indian Economic Journal, 58(2), 81-100.
10. Bhattacharya, P. (2009). Determinants of yields in shrimp culture: scientific vs. traditional farming systems in West Bengal. IUP Journal of Agricultural Economics, 6(1), 31-46.
11. Life and Time of Migrant Labour Adda Workers: A study of Three Labour Addas in Hyderabad (Editors: Poulomi Bhattacharya and Jafar K.),Research Report of School of Livelihoods and Development, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Hyderabad., 2018
12. Working Condition of Women Agricultural Labourers : A study of Thiruneelvelli district of Tamil Nadu , Proceedings of National Seminar on Dr. B.R. Ambedkar’s vision of Economic Development of India (with M. Karuppasamy), Page No. 113-121(ISBN No.978-93-85777-91-2
13.A Panel Data Analysis of Supply Response of Milk Production in BRIC Countries, TISS Working Paper Series, No.3 ,Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Hyderabad, 2014
14. “A Compendium of Essays in Applied Econometrics” edited by Trilochan Tripathy, Poulomi Bhattacharya and M.Aruna, Paramount Publishing House, Hyderabad, 2012.
15.Assessment of Supply- Demand Balances of Foodgrains and Other Food Items over the Medium Term Future’ sponsored by the ‘Ministry of Food and Public Distribution’ NCAER Mimeo, May 2010 (Parmod Kumar, Poulomi Bhattacharya and S. K. Singh).
16.Economics of Shrimp Farming: A Comparative Study of Traditional vs. Scientific Shrimp Farming in West Bengal, ISEC working paper Series, No. 218, Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bangalore,2009
17. A Comparative Study of Traditional vs. Scientific Shrimp Farming in West Bengal: A Technical Efficiency Analysis, ISEC working paper Series, No. 188, Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bangalore, 2008
(1) “Patterns of Innovation, Technological Competition and Firm Performance in Case of Indian Manufacturing Sector” (Co-PI, in collaboration with IIT Hyderabad), ICSSR Research Programme Grant, 2018.
(2)Assessment of Demand and Supply of Food grains and other Food Items for Medium Term Future, sponsored by Department of Food and Public Distribution, Ministry of Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution ,Government of India.
(3) Evaluation of Public Distribution System(PDS) for Six States, sponsored by Department of Food and Public Distribution, Ministry of Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution ,Government of India.
1. Organizational Economics
2.Philosophy and Methods of Social Research
3. Poverty and Ineqality: Approaches and measurement
4. Conceptual Grounding in Economics
5. Theories of Economic Development
6. Impact Evaluation
7. Development Economics
8. Contemporary Indian Economy
The site works best on Firefox 30+ Google Chrome 45+ iOS Safari 8+ Internet Explorer 10+ Android 4.2+ Browser / Chrome Browser